The Metrocrest Amateur Radio Society is an active radio club. We have many activities planned throughout the year which are of interest to many different fields, areas and activities related to amateur radio. Some of these are:
- The club has three repeaters (2 440MHz & 1 2 meter) in operation with a 4th one (900MHz) in the process of being installed and turned up.
- The club holds monthly face-to-face club meetings with a speaker on some topic related to amateur radio. These meetings are held on the second Thursday of each month and usually held at the Hebron branch of the Carrollton Public Library, located across from Baylor Carrollton just north east of the intersection on Hebron Parkway and Josey Road in north Carrollton.
- Playdays - the Saturday following the club meeting we usually have a "playday". The events consists of practical experience in using ham radios, using digital message trafficking in amateur radio, building amateur radio related equipment
- RACES and ARES. The club is associated with the Carrollton RACES/ARES organization, which helps the city in the event of severe weather in (or coming to) the city and providing backup communications capabilities for the city Emergency Management function. The club repeaters are used for this function
- Public service opportunities. In conjuction with the Carrollton RACES/ARES organization, the club helps with communication functions at different events happening in the city through out the year.
- Field Day/JOTA. The club has in the past participated in the annual ARRL Field Day and the BSA JOTA events in some for or fashion.
- Becoming an amateur radio operator (ham operator). In conjuction with WB5QNG the club holds an amateur radio licensing exam before every club meeting (except the December Christmas party). WB5QNG also frequently teaches classes on getting your amateur radio license (both Technician, and General class licenses).
- Annual Christmas Party. Instead of the normal club meeting in December we have club Christmas party. The past few years we have held this at the Indian Springs Country Club in Carrollton. It's consists of a sit down dinner, and door prizes. The door prizes in the past have been handheld radios, wireless weather stations, ARRL books, and other amateur radio related items. It's a wonderful way to finish the year in the club, enjoying the friendship of the club members and their guests