May 24, 2023
The Metrocrest Amateur Radio Society is an active radio club. We have many activities throughout the year related to a variety of ham radio interests.
Hams & Eggs
About 8:00 AM CT every Saturday morning, dedicated radio enthusiasts gather at our beloved Whataburger at PGBT and Old Denton for breakfast and camaraderie. All Hams or Want-to-Be-Hams are invited to drop by.
Next Regular Meeting
Thursday, June 8, 2023 • 6:30 PM
Club officers will be elected by acclamation.
This will be a hybrid in-person/remote meeting. We’d love to have an eyeball QSO, but you may join by Zoom. You will receive an invitation if you are subscribed to our Newsletter.
The next Play Day is Saturday, June 17, 2023
10:00 AM ≈ 3:00 PM CT
Play Days are on the third Saturday of each month.
We will be in the Large Room just inside the front door.
Questions? Please contact Steve Darrah, KD5YPB@ARRL.net
Saturday, June 17, 2023 • 10:30 AM ≈ 11:30 AM CT
Allan Batteiger, WB5QNG, will have an in-person test session in the Conference Room.
Allan continues remote testing on Tuesdays. Please visit https://wb5qng.org/ to learn how to sign up.
DFW Ham Expo
Saturday June 3, 2023, 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM
MARS will host 3 tables to sell some Club-owned items. You are welcome to bring stuff for the Club to sell on consignment. Here is the essential info:
• For Club Members, there is a 10% commission up to $20.00 that the Club retains.
• For non-Members there is a 10% commission, but there is no 20-dollar cap.
• You must have your item marked with a description, price, your call sign and your phone number where you can be reached. If an item is too large for the table, you may provide a clear high-resolution photograph and the above information. No links to eBay or other online sale sites please.
• You must provide a separate sheet with the description, price, and the absolute minimum price you are willing to accept. The sheet must have your phone number where you can be reached as well.
• Please pick up your items before the end of the day. As we have no way of storing equipment, we will not be responsible for your items after the show.
• The Club may, at its discretion, accept sellable items as an outright donation. We are not your recycling bin, so no junk please.
More information is on the Expo website, https://www.dfwhamexpo.com/. If you have any questions, or wish to volunteer to monitor the tables, please shoot us an email, KB5A.email@example.com. Looking forward to seeing you at the Expo.
ARRL Field Day
Saturday, June 24, 2023, 1:00 PM CDT (1800 UTC) to Sunday, June 25, 3:59 PM CDT (2059 UTC)
We are working Field Day and we need volunteers to pitch in! Bring rigs, antennas, coax, headphone amps, et al. Erect antennas, set up the operating room, wrangle food, go after bonus points, coach the Get-On-The-Air (GOTA) station, and operate during the event. Want to do something different? Just ask. There’s something for everyone to do. Visit https://www.arrl.org/field-day-rules to review the rules.
If you are an inactive or a newly-licensed ham, you may qualify to operate the GOTA station. We will have Coaches available to lead you in making your first Field Day contact. If you’re a seasoned ham, you’re qualified to be a GOTA Coach or you can help less experienced operators at the other stations.
We’re planning to use the air-conditioned Farmers Branch Fire Administration Building. Setup begins 7:30 AM on Saturday and we will wrap about 10:00 PM. We will return on Sunday to continue the event until the end. If you want to volunteer or operate, please give me shout, FieldDay@KB5A.org. You may find me at Hams & Eggs, or on the 145.210 repeater as well. We’re looking forward to another great Field Day event.
—Ron Reeves, NN5R, Field Day Marshal
These links are provided as a convenience and for informational purposes only; they do not constitute an endorsement or an approval by the Metrocrest Amateur Radio Society, Inc. of any of the products, services or opinions of the corporation or organization or individual. The Metrocrest Amateur Radio Society, Inc. bears no responsibility for the accuracy, legality or content of the external site or for that of subsequent links. Contact the external site for answers to questions regarding its content.